BOOK CLUB QUESTIONS
1. Yi's bad luck might have been the precursor of which Asian War?
2. Though coal-burning steam warships presented many advantages, name at least two distinct disadvantages in comparison to fighting sail they presented in protecting their countries' sea lanes.
3. Why did Clementine and her sisters once wear all white?
4. What's a "fast crab?"
5. What sea battle at the beginning of the 20th Century capped the Asian aspirations of two empires, and fanned the aspiration of a third?
6. Technical advantages in what material used to produce guns and hulls spelled the obsolescence of most of the Royal Navy's fleet, then the world's largest, and allowed several upstart countries (such as the US) to begin to catch up the end of the 19th Century.
7. How did the secret Taft-Katsura Agreement put the United States in an awkward position?
8. What currency did members of the United States Navy use ashore in China? Where did it come from?
9. When Koreans chanted 'Mansei," what were they saying literally? Why?
10. What was purpose of the USN's African Squadron?
No, aspiring mentioners cannot submit their answers and claim "Mentioned in Newsletters" status. The questions are for book club discussions only.